Graduate Farmer offers an opportunity for young men and women interested in advancing their knowledge and skills in sustainable agriculture in Kenya to learn through hands-on experience, instruction and support from mentor farmers. It’s never easy to start your own farm even if you have all the capital, land and resources at your disposal. You need to learn from the experts and have a feel of what really happens every day on the farm. This will help you be more patient, better in decision making and solve day to day problems without giving up.
We give applicants the chance to work with the farm manager, employees other apprentices and volunteers on our partner farms to help them reach their production goals. Over the course of the apprenticeship, interns will advance their knowledge and experience in:
- Farm planning, sustainable agriculture in theory and practice
- General day-to-day farm management practices
- Record Keeping
- Crop and Livestock Management
- Identifying Markets
- Problem Solving
- Must be able to work outdoors in all weather conditions and perform a variety of farm tasks.
- Must be able to accept constructive criticism.
- Must have a positive attitude and be able to work as part of a team.
- Minimum commitment of 12 hours per week for 3 months. 9–12 month commitment ideal.
12 hours per week: Schedule can be flexible
- Better understanding on how a farm works. This will help participants to be able to know how to solve day to day challenges that occur on the farm.
- Learn how to start and grow farm projects.
- Increases your chances of getting funding for your agribusiness project.
- The internship is un-paid but interns receive strong mentorship from the Farm Manager and Supervisors.
- It is also a great opportunity to work with a diverse team committed to grow and practice sustainable agriculture.
If you are interested in applying or have additional questions, please contact us HERE