Good Agricultural Practices
International regulations on food safety and social accountability in the production of fresh produce are becoming ever stricter. Consumers are becoming more and more particular about the quality, safety and reliability of the fresh products they buy. The main buying countries require the implementation of GAP. The GAP guidelines aim at producing a product that is safe, environment friendly and socially acceptable and of high quality. The following are the guidelines which are supposed to be implemented by the farmers and exporters.
- Keep up to date farm production records inorder to maintain consumer confidence in food quality and safety.
- Apply proper crop protection strategies in order to reduce the use chemicals.
- Observe the required standards during pesticide application in order to protect the health and safety of the sprayer.
- Observe the required standards during transportation, storage and disposal of pesticides in order to minimize detrimental impact on the environment while conserving nature and wildlife.
- Observe hygiene requirements during harvesting and postharvest handling of produce.
- Adhere to regulations of wages and employment act
- Adhere to environment protection regulations.